There are a couple ways I coped with being infertile over the holidays. I realize I am not an expert but these are things that helped me the past 4 years (long time to some, not even close to a long time to others).
Workout. If you know me, it's no secret I love to run. Love love love it. It helped clear my mind. The feeling of the ground beneath my feet, the early morning runs when everyone else is asleep. Pure bliss.
Yoga. Yes, another form of a workout, but I think of it also as a mind clearer as there's a 'zen' about Yoga. If you find the right instructor, it leaves you feeling soo great. Even when I went into class having a terrible "poor me" day, I'd come out feeling refreshed..well all but one time. You know the time where I wanted to run out screaming.
I felt like this a lot of the time, despite the happy front
Research. Blogs/articles helped me. There's a huge infertile community out there and knowing you're not alone is the best. To quote one article on surviving IF over the holidays:
1. Say no to parties. Really. Do.It.
2. Prepare an answer to the dreaded "still no luck" questions.
3. Call on your support system. ---> Friends! Family! I have a few people I could complain to and it felt so great to just talk frankly.
4. Look for the positives ---> I don't like this one. It makes me think everything is unicorns and rainbows when we know it's a front. Yes, you can be sad.
5. Give Yourself A Break ---> My favorite. Take a break, let yourself feel sad. Then get over it and move on.
Speaking of blogs. Head on over to this blog and take a read of
Just a few of my favorites:
"You’re so lucky. You don’t know how hard it is to [fill in inappropriate comment like “change diapers,” “never sleep,” “buy clothes all the time,” here]. (You’re right. I don’t know. Thanks for that loving reminder.)"
"Maybe you’re just not supposed to have kids… (Hello? Was there a secret early morning “Qualifying Mom Exam” that I did not know about? I hate it when I oversleep!)"
"So-and-so tried for 10 years to get pregnant. Finally, when she gave up, it happened. (That’s great for so-and-so. What does her body have to do with mine, anyway? Oh. She has the secret sauce ingredient to “getting” pregnant, does she? Hmm…she does have a lot of cute new purses. I haven’t tried buying purses yet….maybe I should try that? Any excuse to shop!)"
Cheers! Be happy and enjoy, 2013 is right around the corner.