Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome! We are just another couple struggling with infertility but having fun and trying to enjoy the journey.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Fertility Diet or no?

Like many IF's I've been to umpteen doctors throughout Journey.  From my normal OB, to second opinions, NP's, 2 REs (one a**hole in GB and our current RE who we love) and finally one Holistic Doc.


Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and not passing judgment, these opinions are based upon my own experience.  I'm not implying any of these drs are not good at what they do (except, uhhm my least fave RE in Green Bay who will remain nameless..but sounds like Mevarino with an "S")




We are currently with an RE in Madison. We love them. I would recommend to anyone. If you would like any info, please leave a comment.

The Holistic Dr was interesting. It was a 2 hr appt (!!) and $400 later (since insurance doesn't cover it) I left with pamphlets and things I could have researched myself and saved the $400.  Was it good? Um, it was ok, it opened my eyes to some things.

1.  Yoga.  At the time I visited this Dr I was teaching 2 classes a week in addition to trying to get my own practice in.  It just wasn't working, teaching class was becoming work.  So she suggested to free up my schedule at nights, I quit teaching.  Last Aug I quit.

2.  Stress. We all know Stress is the killer of all.  Someone once mentioned to me that babies aren't born in times of war because it's stressful, hence, the body does not perform as it should.  Her solution to decrease stress: Chanting (not for me), closing my day with affirmations (does this remind anyone of Sex & the City?), and CDs I should listen to at night before bed.  Um.. this is just not my thing. Really, I de-stress by working out. So I took this advice in stride.

3.  Acupuncture.  Some women swear by this. Me, not so much.  I did it once ($100/session) and even with relaxing music I couldn't relax.  Fast forward 10 months, I still have a nerve twinge in my left leg where one of the pins was.

4. Healthy Body weight & BMI.  This is the number one most important thing she stressed.  Luckily (with a lot of hard work) I am ok here.

5.  Fertility Diet.  I understand this, but I don't abide by it 100%. Come on now, who doesn't want an oreo every now and then (am I right T?).  And no coffee..forget it unless I am actually pg (note: I went sans coffee for 6 months and obviously it did nothing other than leave me tired!).

I try to eat fresh, non processed foods, but I'm not perfect.  We had pizza & buffalo wings last night and it was delicious.  The main things I get out of the Fertility Diet are to 'eat clean' and supplement with vitamins where you lack.  I know everyone *should* eat a salad a day, but not many actually do it.  I've been reading up on the effect of greens in your diet.


If you are familiar with the Natural Fertility Diet you will know that we emphasize the importance of greens in the diet, making sure to eat one salad a day as well as one dark leafy green vegetable such as kale, spinach, or chard. Leafy greens and vegetables supply the body with important minerals and nutrients. The body needs to have a healthy acid/alkaline balance to function its best. Most diets today are very acidic (full of meat, sugar and white, processed foods) and need to have more fruits and vegetables incorporated into them

source

So after having a green smoothie at Yoga last week, I've been trying to make my own.



It's Kale, Collard greens with 2 cups of water (blended). Then add & blend frozen strawberries and pineapple.  It's not bad, really..even tho it looks very green.  Is it helping? Who knows. Is it good for me? Absolutely, so why not.

 At the end of the day, getting pregnant is truly a miracle.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment