Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome! We are just another couple struggling with infertility but having fun and trying to enjoy the journey.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Monthly routine

For those who haven't had the luxury of TTC I thought I'd post what a "typical" IUI month looks like.

CD1 (Cycle Day 1) is always a bad day, call the RE to order our monthly meds.  CD1-2 is filled with waiting, moping, a lot of running for me and usually some excitement for the next cycle.

CD3-CD10: I take anywhere from 5-10 pills a day (Depending on the day). From Femara to Estrace and Tamoxifen.  Also vitamins which are not pictured.

CD10: ultrasound either in GB or if it falls on the weekend, in Madison. The RE reads off the number/size of follies and the thickness of the lining.  Hopefully we get some good news and our IUI is scheduled. If not, we're done for the month. Like this month

CD11-12: more Estrace (estrogen pills) for a few more days. 

CDxx:  Trigger Shot 36 hours before IUI. The trigger shot arrives via FEDEX in a huge cooled box with ice (as shown below).  The day varies based on how my cycle ran.  It's a SubQ shot but I just can't seem to do it myself. It's not the pain (it's not bad, like a deep pinch) I always feel like I'm going to screw it up.  Since FD is a EMT, he administers (even if he's at work - last time it was in the back of an ambulance. I joked this was my first time in an ambulance (and promptly knocked on wood)).

CDxx: IUI in Madison. Our RE is great, but it's never easy.  You walk into the clinic and see others who are reproductively challenged. We exchange glances and sad looks (some mad looks..I hope we never get there. That's a whole other post).   FD's appt is first and it's always stressful (what if we screw it up, we're done for the month). The rooms for "donation" are nice, but it's still uncomfortable.  The rooms are set back in the clinic but you can still hear noises. Real seksi.

After that is done, we have 1.5 hrs to kill as they prep the sample.  We usually go to breakfast, a looooong tense breakfast.  We hope we don't get a call..meaning the sample is bad.

Next is my appt. We're back at the clinic and in a tiny unlit room.  The sample is brought in, looks amazingly small.. like an ounce of fluid and is pink (the medium to keep the swimmers alive). We sign off that it's the correct sample (oy wouldn't that be bad).   I undress (TMI) and lay on the table.  I will leave it to the experts for what the RE does: 

 A catheter is used to inject the processed sperm directly into the uterus. This process maximizes the number of sperm cells that are placed in the uterus, thus increasing the possibility of conception. The IUI procedure takes little time and involves minimal discomfort. The next step is to watch for signs and symptoms of pregnancy. 

I lay on the table (no not legs up) for 15 minutes.  Since FD is with me, we usually make inappropriate jokes. Then we leave and usually do something fun like shop! in Madison, then we're on our way home. 

Then comes the 2WW. 14 days later I take a pg test..no matter if I get AF or not. So far, they have all been negative, which is so depressing each time, but we still have *hope* for that BFP

and that's a wrap. 

Hope you have a fantastic Friday, mine will be filled with this

and lots of benedryl. 


PS I'd like to give a shout out to my first "follower!!" You know who you are ;-) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment