Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome! We are just another couple struggling with infertility but having fun and trying to enjoy the journey.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Blood Test #1

I went in for my first hCG level blood test. Results: 603.

The feedback from my RE, you're pregnant, congrats!

Per Baby Med:
HCG stands for "Human Chorionic Gonadotropin", the pregnancy hormone which is produced by the placenta and enters the blood soon after implantation and is detected with pregnancy tests.  HCG is being produced by the placenta and enters the blood stream as soon as implantation happens, about one week after fertilization and ovulation, when the embryo implants and the placenta attaches to the uterine lining.


  • hCG under 5 mIU/ml:   Negative. Not pregnant
  • hCG between 5-25 mIU/ml:"Equivocal". Maybe pregnant maybe not. Repeat test in a couple of days
  • hCG over 25 mIU/ml:You are pregnant!


The nurse said my level was high (they are hoping for 50), however higher is better, so no worries. Whew!

How do I feel? Nervous, anxious, waiting for Blood test #2 to make sure my levels are going up. If not, that could indicate a future miscarriage.

Probably like most IFs, I still don't believe it. I think until I see that ultrasound (and maybe not even till I have a healthy child in my arms) I won't believe it.

I feel like I have this little secret and I can't tell anyone.  I am very nervous to tell anyone. Nervous I'll have to go back and say, nope no baby again as we had a miscarriage.

But for now I'll celebrate the little victories...

My name is Nicole and I'm pregnant! (I feel like I'm at an AA meeting introducing myself as who am I??).

Cheers!  I try to remember this each day when I wake up




No comments:

Post a Comment