Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome! We are just another couple struggling with infertility but having fun and trying to enjoy the journey.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Coming out of the Infertile closet

It's interesting to see how people deal with their infertility.  Some share every Dr visit, follicle size, shot to everyone they encounter.  Some protect this information like it's the Kennedy's assassination.  I guess we fall in the middle..most of the family knows, some friends, but it's not all we talk about, it doesn't "define" us.     

Realistically, it's a disease, like cancer, something we can't control, so why are we (myself included) ashamed?  

I see both sides.  On one hand it's so nice to have someone to talk to when you're feeling down.  But, playing the devil's advocate, most people don't understand and will (unknowingly) minimize emotions, saying this or that to try to make you feel better.  It 'will' happen. Really, can you see the future? Because I know a TON of couples where it just didn't happen. 

It is interesting how much we've learned (and how little most know) about infertility.  Almost everyone asks why we don't just do IVF.  If I was a millionaire I would, however a mere $20k for the chance of a baby is a tough gamble.  And we're not the gambling type.  Almost everyone, at some point or another says, 'You can have my kids' and I go back to Tertia's blog post and I quote (because it really made me laugh) 

"Now that’s an incredibly stupid thing to say. What kind of mother are you to give her kids away? Oh you were only joking? What was the funny part? That I don’t have my own kids? Sorry, but I am not getting the joke?"

Having been through a few IUI's, it's hard to bring everyone on the journey (except you all of course).  For the first one, we shared everything..from the dr visits, follicles, to the IUI and the 2WW.  For the next ones, we didn't tell most until afterwards.  It's pressure.  Everyone is waiting with you, wondering, and I feel like we're letting them down (as well as ourselves) when we have to report no baby... again..
 
It's hard to come out of the infertile closet.  

In other light and fun news, we're headed here today in honor of my Godson's baptism


Any guesses as to where this is?? 

Cheers the weekend is finally here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment