Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome! We are just another couple struggling with infertility but having fun and trying to enjoy the journey.

Friday, April 6, 2012

TTC Myths

I asked my sister for some Blog ideas since we're on hold in the TTC Department for a bit.  She has a 10 month old cutie pie at home.  If you have anything you would like me to blog about, please leave a comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Topic of the day: TTC Myths.



Like anything, there are so many old wives tales about upping your chances on TTC. Things that come to mind, lying down for an hour post coital (an hour is excessive, my RE says 15 min), keeping your legs/feet/booty in the air all night after doing the deed and my favorite, just reallllllaaaaaxxx.

According to this site, the Top 8 myths include:
1.  Stop worrying.  (love this one, just relax. Many many many people have told me this every time I want to jump down their throat. ok moving on :D )
2.  Eating/drinking certain things will make you more fertile (they say Robitussin? First I've heard of it).
3.  Making whoopie during the day (vs. night) increases your chances.
4.  Having sex every day increases your odds. (Every other day is better, we want a Michael Phelps swimmer..and not the Phelps smoking the ganja.)
5.  If you conceive early in your cycle you'll have a boy, later, girl.
6.  Bike riding decreases sperm count.
7.  Eating nonorganic bananas makes men sterile (???)
8.  Cooling your hubby's package increases fertility.

Some of these are funny. Really, organic bananas? Bike riding? What about Lance Armstrong, he just had a little bundle of joy and if that's true he should have been sterile years ago.  Cooling his package? Funny, though our RE suggests no hot tubs or hot baths during procedures. 

A few more I found that are actually pretty realistic.

1.  Everyone Ovulates on day 14.  (This is a huge myth. Everyone is different.  When we first started I O'd on Day 12, now with all the drugs, it's more like day 16/17.  If you're first trying, have fun for a few months, then try OPKs. )
2. I have one child, I won't have a problem conceiving again. Actually second factor infertility is just as common.
3. You need to stop drinking, running, exercising while TTC. (Nothing proven on this one and I know many many peeps who have gotten pg after a night at the bar and many who ran marathons during the 2WW.)

Well folks, that's it for me. I hope you have a Hop Hop Hoppy Easter!  We're hanging here for the weekend

source

Cheers to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment